Sunday, August 9, 2009

Day of Tears by Julius Lester


I have a confession to make: sometimes historical fiction bores me. Yes, it's true. I actually enjoy history, but when I'm reading historical fiction, I often feel I'm reading the same story told in the same way. I have found this to be especially true when I'm reading about the Holocaust or slavery within the United States.

So when I spotted Day of Tears in the bookstore some time back, I decided I just wasn't willing to invest money into a hardback book about slavery. I figured it would probably not hold my interest, and it probably wouldn't be much different than so many other YA books on the topic. Cut me some slack-I'm living on a teacher's salary, and I buy my classroom books out of pocket. Needless to say, after finishing this 176 page, paperback book while on a road trip, I was kicking myself for not getting it sooner.

Julius Lester is an accomplished writer who has written much about the history of slavery in this country. He was approached by his publisher to research and write about "The Weeping Time", a period of which he was previously unaware. I, too, was unaware of this event, but I'm grateful to learn more about it through Lester's unique and captivating storytelling.

On March 2 and 3, 1859, the largest slave auction ever to take place in the country was held on the Georgia plantation of Pierce Butler. Butler had been married to English actress Fanny Kemble, who ironically was an abolitionist. At the time of their marriage, Butler assured her he owned no slaves; once arriving at her new husband's home she discoverd otherwise and sought to educate the slaves in the hopes of turning over the plantation to them. It was her belief that since they were the reason for its success, they should own it. Pierce felt otherwise, and after having two daughters the couple divorced. Fanny returned to England, and her ex-husband made sure their daughters had limited contact with her. Eventually, because of his poor card playing skills, Butler was forced to sell off several of his properties, and most of his most valuable assets: his slaves. In all, he sold nearly 440 men, women, and children, many of whom he had grown up with from childhood. History reports that for the two days the auction took place, the sky sent unrentlentless sheets of rain to the Earth. Many felt that this was no ordinary rain, but "God's tears", thus earning it the name "The Weeping Time".

The author skillfully weaves the above backstory throughout the book, but the heart of the novel centers around the two days of the auction. The novel is described as being "a novel in dialogue", and it takes on an almost playlike format, as the characters give alternating, monologue-like perspectives of their experience on the days of the auction. Although brief, this is one of the most powerful books on the topic I have ever read. Although students in sixth and seventh grade could read and comprehend the book, I think the format, rich figurative language, and intensity lends itself to readers in grades eight and up.

I use Sharon Draper's Copper Sun in my classroom, and I think this book would be an outstanding companion novel for that. Anyone with an interest in the history of our country should pick this up. For those who aren't interested in history, this novel will be a pleasant surprise. Everyone needs to read this one!

2 comments:

  1. Jeesh! You just keep adding to books I need to read. Sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds good. i'd like to read this one.

    ReplyDelete