Sunday, August 30, 2009

Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender


This is a great read for those of you who love a good, old-fashioned ghost story. Although several elements of the story have been "done" before, that's one of the things that pulled me in. It reminded me of scary movies I watched, books I read, and stories we told when I was in middle school. A little bit of nostalgia goes a long way :)

Our main character Alexis is attempting to get through her typical high school existence as painlessly as possible. She's not exactly an "It" girl, and does her best to avoid the drama created by the cheerleaders who rule. At home, her parents are distant at best, and she's growing increasingly worried about her younger sister, Kasey.

Even though Kasey is thirteen years old, she develops a strange obsession with dolls (which, in my personal opinion, are usually creepy anyway). Kasey is behaving strangely in other ways, too, and she is becoming increasingly violent. During these episodes, she uses out-of-date language and her eyes turn from blue to green. After they occur, Kasey has no memory of them. Additionally, the house is changing. There are strange noises, cold air, and unexplained events, all of which add to the creepy mood.

Alexis begins by making excuses for her sister, but ultimately can't when her behavior becomes life threatening. The author does a great job of leading the reader down a twisting road to a climactic and dramatic ending. Special note: although the book's protagonist is female, male readers shouldn't shy away from this one! It is in no way girly, I promise!

1 comment:

  1. I really want to read this book, thanks! I have been looking for some good books to read lately :)

    ReplyDelete